Would you trim military spending for a tax cut? 

I’m not a fan of Alan Grayson — his policies, or his means — but I’ve got to say he makes some great points with his new bill, HR 5353, the “War Is Making You Poor Act.”

The bill would eliminate the $159 billion “emergency spending” for the Iraq & Afghanistan Wars. You’re thinking Grayson being a liberal, he’ll turn around and use that money to fund some new federal program, or poor it into some failing welfare program.

But no, Grayson proposes to use 90% of that money to cut income taxes for everyone who pays income tax. The other 10% goes to reducing the national debt and the federal deficit.

I bet if we targeted pork and corporate welfare in the nearly $600 billion Pentagon budget, we could find the $159 billion to fight these two wars without sham “emergency” bills.

About The Author

Timothy P. Carney

Pin It

More by Timothy P. Carney

Latest in Nation

Saturday, Mar 17, 2018


Most Popular Stories

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation