VIDEO UPDATE: Arrest made in beating death at Temple Nightclub 

Updated May 16, 2011 at 4:30 p.m.: SFPD has identified the arrestee as Tracy Luong, 22, of San Jose. Luong was booked into San Francisco County Jail on the charge of aggravated assault on a bystander.

A bystander had intervened in an effort to thwart the attack on Joey Hernandez. Luong, who police said was wielding high-heeled shoes, allegedly struck the clubgoer in the face numerous times. Police believe the homicide suspect was part of a larger group that included Luong.

Investigators are asking for the public’s assistance in identifying the suspect shown in the video below. He is described as an Asian male with a full sleeve tattoo on his right arm.

Please contact Inspector Mike Morley of the Homicide Detail (415) 553-7976, the anonymous tip line at (415) 575-4444 or text a tip at “TIP411.”

Police said they arrested a woman last week in connection with a January South of Market nightclub killing, although she is not the primary suspect they are seeking for the death of 30-year-old UC San Francisco medical student Joey Hernandez.

Sgt. Michael Andraychak said the woman arrested was somehow affiliated with the group of people that attacked Hernandez at the Temple Nightclub on Jan. 9, although he declined to provide a name or any more details because of the sensitivity of the investigation.

Hernandez’s death shocked the UCSF community and devastated his family in Southern California.

“We want the person who killed my brother to know that he killed a good person, a nonviolent person,” Tonia Baca, Hernandez’s sister, said at the time.

Baca told The San Francisco Examiner in January that her brother loved to dance, but hadn’t been to a nightclub in months because of a busy medical school schedule, and that he had been talking to a fellow student about graduation and their futures when the melee broke out. In an email Friday, she said police agree with her that the fight was unprovoked.

Police described the suspects only as Asian males who had been sitting on a wall at the club. Since the incident, The City’s Entertainment Commission has required the club to install ID scanners, increase the number of surveillance cameras and discontinue beer-bottle sales on Friday and Saturday nights.

Police found Hernandez beaten and unconscious on the floor of the club after he was apparently hit on the head with a blunt object. While police were tending to Hernandez, another fight broke out in which two people were stabbed with broken beer bottles.

During a graduation ceremony Monday at Davies Symphony Hall, UCSF will present Hernandez with a posthumous degree.



Suspect in Hernandez Murder from San Francisco Police on Vimeo.

About The Author

Dan Schreiber

Pin It

Speaking of Local, Crime

Latest in Crime & Courts

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation