Update: Firefighters break down house door, rescue man from Visitacion Valley blaze 

Fire crews Thursday broke down the door to a burning home in San Francisco’s Visitacion Valley neighborhood and rescued a man who was sleeping when the blaze started in the kitchen.

Firefighters responded to reports of a fire inside a two-story, single-family wooden house on 218 Teddy Ave. at about 10:15 p.m., fire spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said.

The man was apparently asleep in an upstairs bedroom when the blaze started, and neighbors who smelled smoke called the fire department, Talmadge said.

“He had been cooking, left food on the stove, and went to sleep,” she said. “This was definitely a good save.”

Responding crews broke down the man’s door and retrieved him from the house. He only suffered minor smoke inhalation injuries, and the fire was contained to the kitchen, Talmadge said.

No one else was injured by the fire.

A damage estimate wasn’t immediately available, and it was unclear if the house had properly working smoke detectors.

Tags: ,

About The Author

Bay City News

Pin It

More by Bay City News

© 2019 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation