Trial set for man accused of sexual attacks in South City 

A jury trial is nearing for the man accused of terrorizing women during a string of sexual attacks in South San Francisco — including the attempted rape of a jogger using a park bathroom, prosecutors said.

Raul Gutierrez Contreras, 32, described at the time of his arrest in 2007 as a transient and illegal immigrant who worked in a local body shop, is facing a life sentence on charges related to separate attacks on three women in 2006 and 2007, prosecutors said.

At the time, residents in the area between orange Memorial Park and South Linden Avenue were growing increasingly anxious about looming assaults, as there had been five reported in a year.

In one assault, a suspect allegedly attacked a 34-year-old woman who was unlocking the front door to a business in the 200 block of South Maple Avenue. The suspect forced his way inside, but the victim managed to smack him in the head with a metal object — cutting him over the eye — before locking herself inside a smaller room, prosecutors said.

The jogger also managed to flee her attacker, prosecutors said. A suspect crawled under the stall door and tried to rape the victim, they said.

Prosecutors say a common method of attack linked several attacks to Contreras. A citizen reported the suspect to cops, saying her cousin worked with a man who had a cut above his eye, police said.

The case is set for jury trial Oct. 18, prosecutors said. Contreras is in custody on $200,000 bail, they said.

maldax@sfexaminer.com

Pin It
Favorite

Latest in Crime & Courts

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation