Trial set for alleged South City attacker 

A jury trial is slated for fall for a man accused of terrorizing women during a string of sexual attacks in South San Francisco, including the attempted rape of a jogger in a park bathroom, prosecutors said.

Raul Gutierrez Contreras, 32, described at the time of his arrest in 2007 as a transient and illegal immigrant who worked in a local body shop, is facing a life sentence on charges related to separate attacks on three women in 2006 and 2007, according to prosecutors.

At the time, residents in the area between Orange Memorial Park and South Linden Avenue were growing increasingly anxious, as there had been five assaults reported in a year.

Prosecutors said a common method of attack linked several incidents to Contreras. A citizen reported the suspect to cops, saying her cousin worked with a man who had a cut above his eye, something reported in one attack, police said.

The case is set for a jury trial starting Oct. 18, prosecutors said.

Pin It
Favorite

Latest in Crime & Courts

Sunday, May 20, 2018

Videos

Most Popular Stories

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation