Timeline of Candlestick violence released by San Francisco police 

There were two shootings, two brutal bathroom beatdowns and one drunken fan bit into a San Francisco cop’s forearm and refused to let go.

Police at Bayview Station released a list Monday detailing some of the mayhem they dealt with at Candlestick Park, when the 49ers and Raiders met for preseason football.

Here is a condensed version:

10:45 a.m. – Police patrolling the stadium parking lot pulled over a speeding car at 650 Jamestown Avenue. The driver had an outstanding warrant for an arrest stemming from various firearms charges. He was booked at Bayview Station.

6:10 p.m. – Fight in the lower area of Section 13. Two suspected gang members brawled after an argument over their team affiliations. A witness who tried to break up the fight was punched several times in the face. The assailant was arrested.

6:30 p.m. – A fight in the concourse area. A cop tackled a suspect he saw assaulting a person. The victim fled by the time the officer could speak with him. The suspect was cited and ejected from the park.

7 p.m. – A man standing in line in the men’s restroom was suddenly struck from behind in the back of the head and knocked unconscious. He is being treated at San Francisco General Hospital.

7:05 p.m. – Fight in the lower level of section 13. Arriving bicycle cops saw a drunken man holler, “Take their bikes!” He then grabbed on to one of the bike cop’s handlebars. He was arrested for public drunkenness.

7:10 p.m. – Fight in the upper section 61. Police detained the main agitator of the argument-turned-brawl. They cited him and ejected him out of the park after a brief struggle.

7:20 p.m. – A man in a bathroom outside the section upper reserve 54/56 was suddenly grabbed by the neck and shoved violently into the wall next to a stall. He fell, hitting his head and losing consciousness. The suspect immediately fled. A game usher told cops, who closed the bathroom and made it a crime scene. While the victim was taken to SFGH, police interviewed witnesses that were able to describe the suspect in detail. The investigation continues.

7:30 p.m. – Fight in the upper section 17. An usher who was speaking to her supervisor was suddenly punched in the face for no reason. The supervisor jumped onto the suspect, and held him until cops arrived. The suspect was booked on battery and public drunkenness charges.

8 p.m. – Shooting in the RV parking lot section S. A large fight erupted into a shooting. A victim was shot in the leg and grazed in the face by a bullet. He was brought to San Francisco General Hospital, where he is listed in stable condition. Cops found bullet holes in the body of a car parked near a bus. The investigation is ongoing.

8:10 p.m. – “Huge” fight in upper section 36, row 23. Cops were busy pulling brawlers apart as rival fans fought each other while chucking beer and food. During the fight, a brawler bit a cop on the forearm “as hard as he could.” The cop had to strike the suspect in the back several times, but the suspect wouldn’t let go. It took another cop to end the biting. The suspect was booked at Bayview Station on numerous charges.

9 p.m. – Shooting at Gate A. Victim suffered three bullet wounds to his torso. Injured victim drove his car for several minutes before stopping and seeking help. He was transported to San Francisco General Hospital. The gang task force is investigating.

10 p.m. – Fight in section 6. Police responded to Kaiser Hospital in South San Francisco about an assault at the stadium. The victim had swelling to his face and a chipped tooth. The victim said throughout the game a person sitting behind him kept insulting him and his team. The suspect slapped him several times, including twice in the second quarter and once in the third. When victim confronted the assailant, he was punched several times in the face. One of the suspect’s friends joined in punching him until cops arrived.


Pin It

Latest in Crime & Courts

© 2019 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation