Three arrested in connection with attack on San Carlos man 

Three young men who allegedly knifed and shot a man with a BB gun in front of the victim’s San Carlos home after an argument about a woman were recently arrested and charged with assault with a deadly weapon, authorities said.

The alleged assault stems from a Jan. 11 argument between San Carlos resident Jack Curran MacLeod, 20, and his 20-year-old high school acquaintance who is also a San Carlos resident, police said. The acquaintance, who police have not identified, spit in MacLeod’s face during the quarrel at Bel Mateo Bowl in San Mateo, police said.

MacLeod called three friends shortly afterward and went to the 20-year-old’s house on the 100 block of Glasgow Lane at 2:30 a.m., Sgt. Rich Dickerson said. MacLeod brought a BB gun and Dominic Foti, 19, San Carlos, carried a knife to the house, police said.

In the ensuing attack, the victim was shot in the torso at a very close range, Dickerson said, causing two BB gun pellets to become lodged into his body. The victim suffered from cuts to his hand, a "very severe" cut to his finger that required suturing and gashes to his head, Dickerson said. The pellets were surgically removed after the alleged assault.

One of the alleged attackers suffered a hand wound, he said.

Police went to the Glasgow Lane house shortly after the alleged attack and found three of the suspects, none of whom had weapons at the time. No arrests were made that evening, Dickerson said, due to a lack of evidence.

But four days later, MacLeod, Foti and Dominic DiPaola, 19, also of San Carlos, were arrested and charged with assault with a deadly weapon and conspiracy charges, following an investigation by Detective Jeff McCourtie.

A 17-year-old Belmont resident who drove the three to the victim’s house has been detained but has not yet been arrested or charged by Hillcrest Juvenile Hall officials because he did not take part in the attack, Dickerson said.

MacLeod plead not guilty to felony assault with a deadly weapon, felony criminal threats and misdemeanor brandishing a replica of a firearm on Jan. 17, said Deputy District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe. He was released on $10,000 bail on Monday and is scheduled for a Feb. 20 hearing, he said.

Foti and DiPaola were both released last week on $25,000 bail and may be charged on Feb. 21, Wagstaffe said.

mrosenberg@examiner.com

Tags: ,

About The Author

Mike Rosenberg

Pin It
Favorite

More by Mike Rosenberg

Latest in Peninsula

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation