Tenderloin apartment fire likely caused by cigarette 

click to enlarge GETTY IMAGES FILE PHOTO
  • Getty Images file photo

More than two dozen people were displaced by an apartment fire Sunday in the Tenderloin, according to the San Francisco Fire Department.

The blaze likely was caused by a cigarette dropped into a lightwell, fire officials said.

The inferno at the six-story, 40-unit apartment building at 347 Eddy St. was reported just after 8 a.m., a dispatcher said. It was brought under control at about 10:30 a.m.

The blaze left 25 people, including two children, without homes, the dispatcher said.

One person was reportedly injured in the fire, though the extent of the injuries was not immediately known.

The American Red Cross was setting up a shelter Sunday afternoon at a nearby church, spokeswoman Kathleen Maclay said.

About The Author

Ari Burack

Pin It
Favorite

More by Ari Burack

Latest in Neighborhoods

Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Videos

Most Popular Stories

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation