Suspect from fatal San Francisco nightclub shooting to be tried for murder 

One of the two men allegedly connected to a fatal shooting outside a now-shuttered Fisherman’s Wharf-area nightclub last year will stand trial for murder.

Keandre Davis, a 21-year-old from Richmond, and another man allegedly cornered and shot 19-year-old Lawon Hall, also of Richmond, as a large crowd gathered outside Club Suede at about 1:40 a.m. on Feb. 7, 2010.

The scene outside of the club that night was frenzied, according to testimony from witnesses during the approximately three-day preliminary hearing.

Police recovered 44 bullet casings­ from the scene. Sixteen of the casings were from a Patrol Special officer helping provide security for the club. Patrol Special officers are contracted for security, but they are not sworn police officers.

The shots from the officer, Robert Burns, hit Davis, who fell to the ground and was arrested near the shooting. A second man was later arrested, but prosecutors declined to file charges. Police said the killing was related to tensions between rival Richmond gangs.

The 66-year-old Burns, who was hailed as a hero at the time, was recently terminated from the Patrol Specials for failing to wear the proper uniform, failing to provide proof of liability insurance and failing to take mandatory first aid and CPR training.

Burns, a key witness in the murder case, testified at the hearing that he identified himself and shot Davis when he and the second suspect would not drop their weapons, according to the District Attorney’s Office.

But Davis’ attorney, Deputy Public Defender Steve Olmo, said it was unclear from Burns’ testimony who fired the shots that killed Hall.

“He testified that his back was turned when the shots were fired, and he turned around and just started firing,” Olmo said. “He doesn’t know who started it or what.”

There was also a separate fight going on when the shots rang out, Olmo said.

“There were hundreds of people milling around outside,” he said. “There was chaos, before the shooting, and after the shooting.”

Davis faces 50 years to life in prison if convicted of murder with the use of a handgun. He is scheduled to be in court July 8 for an arraignment.

aburack@sfexaminer.com

About The Author

Ari Burack

Pin It
Favorite

More by Ari Burack

Latest in Crime & Courts

Wednesday, Feb 21, 2018

Videos

Most Popular Stories

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation