Man on ledge arrested after 9-hour standoff with police in Financial District 

click to enlarge A knife-wielding man was arrested after a nearly 10-hour standoff with police - @MICHESF VIA TWITTER
  • @michesf via Twitter
  • A knife-wielding man was arrested after a nearly 10-hour standoff with police

A knife-wielding man who threatened to jump from a ledge in the Financial District on Monday was arrested after a 9-hour standoff with police during which he allegedly vandalized a window and hurled stones at police officers.

The shirtless 25-year-old man was reported on the ledge of a promenade between the Hyatt Regency San Francisco and 4 Embarcadero Center about 3 p.m. The standoff continued until after midnight. No one was injured.

The suspect, who hasn't been identified, is the same shirtless man who just three days before climbed a lightpole and removed his pants nearby on Drumm Street, summoning another police response, Officer Gordon Shyy said Tuesday.

He was apparently back at it Monday after being released from San Francisco General Hospital's psychiatric ward, Shyy said.

Police negotiators attempted to talk him down from the ledge. The man responded by throwing stone pavers taken from planter boxes off the ledge at cops, Officer Gordon Shyy said.

The man is also accused of vandalizing a large building window on the promenade of the 4 Embarcadero Center, Shyy said.

He was finally taken into custody about 12:15 a.m. this morning.

Once cleared by hospital staff, he will face multiple felony and misdemeanor charges, Shyy said, including assault with a deadly weapon, vandalism, trespassing, delaying a peace officer and brandishing a knife.

The man's identity will not be released until after he is booked, Shyy said, adding that he is a Bay Area resident.

The incident called attention to The City's struggle of providing sufficient mental health care services to a growing number of patients.

SFGH is reportedly admitting more patients on 72-hour psychiatric holds, in which patients can be involuntarily held for up to that length of time if they are considered a threat to themselves or others.

The influx has forced staffers to discharge some patients early, according to hospital staff, who add that there are also insufficient long-term care services available to them.

Pin It

Latest in Crime & Courts

© 2019 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation