Stop signs to be installed where child was killed by Muni train 

The intersection of San Jose and Lakeview avenues, where a boy was killed by a Muni train last month, will soon get stop signs. - GABRIELLE LURIE/SPECIAL TO THE EXAMINER
  • Gabrielle Lurie/Special to The Examiner
  • The intersection of San Jose and Lakeview avenues, where a boy was killed by a Muni train last month, will soon get stop signs.
A Muni train struck and killed a young boy on San Jose Avenue last month, and now the intersection will get a simple safety measure — one which some say may have saved his life.

The intersection of San Jose and Lakeview avenues will now have north and south stop signs installed, after a unanimous vote by the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency’s Board of Directors to approve them Tuesday. The new stop signs will be installed Wednesday, according to the SFMTA.

People who live around the block came to the board to advocate for safety measures on the intersection.

“My concern as a mother is there are a lot of elderly crossing the street. It is becoming too, too dangerous,” said Norma Cierra, a 20 year resident of the neighborhood. Other community members also advocated for safety measures to the board.

Andrew Wu, 12-years-old, was a student of Aptos Middle School. As he ran for an M-Ocean View train on the morning of May 12 he “pivoted” off of a car which came to an abrupt stop, the SFPD said, causing Wu to stumble into a train. He was caught underneath and killed.

After his death, The San Francisco Examiner reported that safety measures such as rapid-flashing beacons were long-considered for that intersection, but were not slated for implementation until the end of 2016.

“Safety is our top priority,” said Paul Rose, a spokesman for the SFMTA. “This all-way stop implementation will help improve the corridor in the area, and is another step in our Vision Zero goals.”

Vision Zero is San Francisco’s stated policy goal to end pedestrian, cyclist and other traffic deaths by 2024.

Outside the meeting, Cierra told The Examiner she’s called the SFMTA about lack of safety at the intersection many times.

She long has worried for the safety of her son, 18, and daughter, 16. She’s less concerned now, she said, but the intersection still needs many improvements before she’s sure it will be safe.

About The Author

Joe Fitzgerald Rodriguez

Joe Fitzgerald Rodriguez

Bio:
Born and raised in San Francisco, Fitzgerald Rodriguez was a staff writer at the San Francisco Bay Guardian, and now writes the S.F. Examiner's political column On Guard. He is also a transportation beat reporter covering pedestrians, Muni, BART, bikes, and anything with wheels.
Pin It
Favorite

More by Joe Fitzgerald Rodriguez

Latest in Transportation

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Videos

Most Popular Stories

© 2017 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation