SF, Peninsula sites get historical designation 

Sites in San Francisco, Brisbane and Oakland were added to the National Register of Historic Places by the California State Historic Resources Commission. The register is administered by the National Park Service. Sites must have significant architectural or historic significance.

In San Francisco, the Geneva Power House, built in 1903 to generate electricity for The City’s new streetcar system, and an adjacent 1901 office building, at San Jose and Geneva avenues, are the last two that remain from a once-extensive complex of brick buildings, and have been empty since the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. The office building was also the site of the 1917 carmen’s strike.

Temple Sherith Israel, 2266 California St., features a large dome, mix of Beaux Arts-influenced Byzantine and Romanesque flourishes and a high level of craftsmanship, according to the commission report. After the 1906 earthquake and fire, eight superior court judges and a law library moved in temporarily, and a series of high-profile  graft trials were held at the site.

The Southern Pacific Railroad Bayshore Roundhouse in Brisbane, a 1910 semi-circular brick building and one-time rail car turntable, once serviced and repaired steam-powered locomotives. Now vacant and dilapidated, it is the state’s last surviving brick roundhouse, abandoned and obsolete since the late ‘50s.

The fourth site is the California Cotton Mill building in Oakland, a four-story 1917 brick warehouse closed in 1954.

One additional site, Sacred Heart Church at Fillmore and Fell streets in San Francisco, was slated for discussion, but the owner declined to list it on the register, according to Office of Historic Preservation spokesman William Burg.

- Bay City News contributed to this report

About The Author

Examiner Staff

Pin It
Favorite

Speaking of Under The Dome

More by Examiner Staff

Latest in Government & Politics

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation