Sentencing nears for man convicted of assaulting woman in Redwood City motel 

The man convicted of beating and trying to sexually assault a woman in a Redwood City motel room is scheduled to be sentenced Tuesday, a few days after his victim pleaded in court for him to receive the maximum penalty.

On Friday, the victim, who is not being identified, stood close to Deputy District Attorney Ivan Nightengale and asked San Mateo County Superior Court Judge John Grandsaert to impose the maximum sentence on her attacker, 47-year-old Maurice Banks.

"This incident has severely impacted my life," said the soft-spoken woman. "In the future, I will not go back to the life I had before. ... This injury has bothered my life."

San Mateo County District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe previously said that the woman had rented the room to have a quiet place to study for her finals. She was the sole victim of the December 2010 attack.

Prosecutors said Banks broke into her room at the Garden Court Motel around 4 a.m. on Dec. 4, 2010, and severely beat her in his attempt to rape her. The woman was assaulted so savagely that her eye orbit bones were fractured and she will likely suffer permanent vision impairment.

Banks was found guilty Aug. 7 of five felony counts, including intent to commit rape in the process of a burglary, residential burglary, committing a felony assault, attempting to force oral copulation and felony indecent exposure.

After the woman addressed the court, Banks' defense attorney Jeffrey Hayden asked the court if he could read portions of a letter by Banks that expressed remorse about the case.

The woman told the court that she did not wish to hear his remarks.

Outside of the courtroom, Hayden said, "The whole thing is regrettable. Banks has no recollection of the incident. He was in a blackout at the time."

Hayden said Banks' letter says he is greatly apologetic for what he has done.

"He prays for her healing and realizes that he will live the rest of his life plagued with guilt," Hayden said.

The sentencing was delayed Friday due to a late probation report. Grandsaert re-scheduled the hearing for Tuesday morning.

Banks faces a potential sentence of 15 years to life in prison.

About The Author

Bay City News

Pin It

More by Bay City News

Latest in Peninsula

© 2019 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation