San Francisco man accused of repeating old impostor tricks 

The meter has apparently run out again on an impostor Department of Parking and Traffic official who's reportedly resistant to change.

Clarence Jackson, 57, of San Francisco — who was busted in 2007 for impersonating a DPT official in a curb-painting scam targeting local merchants — was arrested last week on charges that he posed as a DPT supervisor to con a recent college graduate out of money.

On Wednesday, Jackson pleaded not guilty to a misdemeanor count of obtaining money through false representation in connection with his latest alleged ruse, which began inside a Quickly restaurant July 24.

The college grad was waiting in line, according to court documents, when Jackson approached him saying he had locked himself out of his home and needed to use the victim's phone. After the victim obliged, Jackson struck up a conversation and claimed to be a DPT supervisor who could get him a job.

The victim was very interested in the job, police said, as he had previously applied to DPT but never heard back. He gladly handed Jackson his resume, and even gave him $20.

The next day, Jackson reportedly called the victim saying the job was his — as long as he paid $150 for union dues, police said. The victim complied, but investigators say Jackson's scam was doomed from the start because of missteps along the way.

Jackson allegedly called the victim again the following day saying he needed another $75 because he had gotten the union dues wrong. That aroused suspicion in the victim. Jackson also reportedly gave the college grad his real name. An Internet search turned up an article and Police Department news release about Jackson's 2007 arrest.

In that scam, according to a report that year from police, Jackson posed as a DPT worker while conning merchants in the Mission, Taraval and Ingleside districts into paying him to paint the curb in front of their businesses green.

In one case, Jackson reportedly told an Ocean Avenue merchant that he needed $125 to pay a locksmith. Later that day, he returned claiming he worked for DPT, saying he would paint the curb in exchange for the money he had borrowed. Jackson then returned to the business over the next several days asking for more money. Meanwhile, the curb remained unpainted, police said.

Pin It

Latest in Crime & Courts

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation