San Bruno still rebuilding four years after deadly pipeline blast 

As San Bruno approached the four-year anniversary of a deadly natural gas pipeline explosion today, Mayor Jim Ruane said that he expects to have repairs in the community mostly completed by next year.

The Sept. 9, 2010, explosion of a PG&E gas line killed eight people, injured dozens, destroyed 38 homes and severely damaged 17 others.

In the last four years, the city has been working on rebuilding the neighborhood’s infrastructure and over the next 18 months expects to complete work rebuilding streets, sidewalks, sewer systems and parks.

The city has already completed $15 million in infrastructure repairs, Ruane said.

Meanwhile, 24 homes have been rebuilt, 10 new homes are expected to be under construction over the next year and all 17 damaged homes have been repaired and are reoccupied, Ruane said.

“It’ll be beautiful when it’s done,” Ruane told reporters at City Hall Monday morning. “But we want to do it once and we want to do it right.”

Ruane also reiterated his criticism of a record $1.4 billion fine and penalty levied against PG&E by the California Public Utilities Commission last week for the San Bruno explosion. He said the $950 million in fines to be directed to the state’s general fund should be used instead for gas pipeline safety.

Ruane did not say whether the city will appeal the CPUC’s decision. PG&E announced its own appeal last week.

About The Author

Bay City News

Pin It
Favorite

Speaking of...

More by Bay City News

Latest in Peninsula

Friday, May 25, 2018

Videos

Most Popular Stories

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation