San Bruno starts distributing donation checks to fire victims 

click to enlarge This is the site in San Bruno where a gas pipeline explosion destroyed many homes. The city of San Bruno on Wednesday began distributing donation checks to victims of the Sept. 9 gas pipeline explosion and fire that killed eight people and destroyed dozens of homes. (AP file photo) - THIS IS THE SITE IN SAN BRUNO WHERE A GAS PIPELINE EXPLOSION DESTROYED MANY HOMES. THE CITY OF SAN BRUNO ON WEDNESDAY BEGAN DISTRIBUTING DONATION CHECKS TO VICTIMS OF THE SEPT. 9 GAS PIPELINE EXPLOSION AND FIRE THAT KILLED EIGHT PEOPLE AND DE
  • This is the site in San Bruno where a gas pipeline explosion destroyed many homes. The city of San Bruno on Wednesday began distributing donation checks to victims of the Sept. 9 gas pipeline explosion and fire that killed eight people and de
  • This is the site in San Bruno where a gas pipeline explosion destroyed many homes. The city of San Bruno on Wednesday began distributing donation checks to victims of the Sept. 9 gas pipeline explosion and fire that killed eight people and destroyed dozens of homes. (AP file photo)

The city of San Bruno on Wednesday began distributing donation checks to victims of the Sept. 9 gas pipeline explosion and fire that killed eight people and destroyed dozens of homes.

The San Bruno City Council decided last week that the city would distribute about $395,000 in individual and corporate donations it has received over the past four months to residents of the Glenview neighborhood whose homes were damaged or destroyed in the disaster.

“As far as I know we’ve had 12 to 15 come by throughout the day to pick up their checks,” City Manager Connie Jackson said.

The council approved a policy that distributes $6,000 per household to residents of 38 homes that were destroyed or red-tagged, $4,000 to residents of 17 homes that were moderately damaged or yellow-tagged, and $1,000 to the residents of 45 homes that suffered minor damage.

Jackson said everyone who is eligible to receive money from the city’s donation fund has been notified and is expected to go to city hall to receive the checks over the next several days.

The city will contact any eligible residents who have not picked up their checks after a couple of weeks, Jackson said.

More than $50,000 should remain in the donation fund after residents have received their checks, Jackson said.

A special advisory subcommittee made up of city officials and members of the public will decide how the remainder of the fund should be spent.

Tags: ,

About The Author

Bay City News

Pin It
Favorite

More by Bay City News

Latest in Peninsula

Thursday, May 24, 2018

Videos

Most Popular Stories

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation