Postgame melee leads to suspensions at Thurgood Marshall in San Francisco 

As many as six people have been suspended from attending or playing in high school basketball games following a fight that broke out in the stands after a game last month, according to the governing body of high school athletics.

On Jan. 18, a fight erupted after Thurgood Marshall Academic High School lost to Lincoln High. As many as 20 people were reportedly involved in the incident at Lincoln, though no injuries were reported.


Two of the six people suspended are players for the Marshall boys varsity basketball team, said Donald Collins, commissioner for the California Interscholastic Federation, San Francisco Section. The federation conducted the investigation and imposed the suspensions.

The other four people suspended were spectators, according to Collins. They were all suspended from attending any high school sporting event for the next 2½ years. No players from Lincoln were found to be involved.



Collins said he did not know the exact cause of the fight.

“That would be a stretch on my part,” he said. “I know some aspects but I don’t know every single aspect or exactly how it started.”

One of the players was found to be active in the fight, according to Collins. He was suspended from participating or being a spectator of basketball for the remainder of his high school career.

The other player was suspended for one game after the investigation determined that he was “not responsible” for his involvement. That player was found wrestling with another spectator during the fight.

“Never in my 10 years have I had a matter like this,” Collins said. “I certainly hope we don’t have one again.”

School district officials couldn’t be reached for comment.

akoskey@sfexaminer.com

Correction: The original version of the article misstated the location of the game and the fight. The fight occurred at Lincoln High School.

Pin It
Favorite

More by Andrea Koskey

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation