Police officer shot in Mission recovering; police unsure who fired weapon 

The San Francisco police officer who was shot in the shoulder Saturday during a traffic stop is recovering at a hospital, according to police, but it's still unknown who shot him.

Police initially said the suspect shot from his vehicle, but Officer Gordon Shyy said on Monday that the department "can't say conclusively who shot" Officer Adam Shaw in the shoulder. Police also are searching for the bullet.

Police Chief Greg Suhr told reporters outside San Francisco General Hospital on Monday that police haven't ruled out friendly fire.

Shaw and his partner, who has yet to be named, were responding to a report of vandalism near Florida and 25th streets in the Mission district about 2:45 p.m. when they spotted a suspicious vehicle. As the officers approached the car -- Shaw from the driver's side and his partner from the passenger's side -- the driver began backing up. That prompted Shaw's partner to fire at the vehicle before it sped off.

Witnesses told police they heard gunfire come from the car.

The vehicle was later found abandoned in Daly City near a shopping mall.

The discovery triggered a manhunt involving several area law enforcement agencies. The search continued late into Saturday night, when San Francisco police spotted a vehicle also associated with the shooting. Officers followed the car out of The City and across the Bay Bridge before asking the California Highway Patrol to stop the car on Interstate 80 near Richmond.

Officers then pursued the vehicle -- at speeds of more than 100 mph -- from Richmond to Danville to San Jose, where the three occupants were stopped and detained at a gas station at McKee Road and North 33rd Street.

Jeffrey Ruano, 50, of San Francisco was later arrested and identified as a suspect in the shooting.

Two women who were also inside the vehicle were interviewed and released.

Ruano was booked on charges of assault with a deadly weapon (the car being the deadly weapon), driving in excess of 100 mph, evading police and in possession of ammunition.

Ruano had no gun on him at the time of his arrest, but was in possession of .38-caliber bullets, Shyy said.

San Francisco police officers are issued .40-caliber cartridges for their department-issued firearms.

The bullet that struck Officer Shaw has not been recovered. Until it is found, Shyy said, it will be difficult to determine who shot Shaw.

At this point in the investigation, Shyy said, police can only confirm for sure that Shaw's partner fired his gun.

Shyy said that Shaw is recovering in the hospital but investigators had been unable to speak to him over the weekend and hoped to interview him some time Monday.

Ruano has a previous conviction out of San Mateo County.

In 1997, the then-34-year-old Daly City resident was arrested by Daly City police after leading authorities on a high-speed chase that started in South San Francisco when he was spotted in a stolen car.

The chase went onto Interstate 280 and Ruano, who was speeding at more than 100 mph, lost control near Westlake Avenue in Daly City, authorities said. He got out of the car and ran across the overpass on foot.

Ruano was caught by Daly City police officers, who found narcotics in the stolen car.

San Mateo County District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said Monday that following that arrest, Ruano was convicted of five felony offenses, including evading, car theft and drug possession. He was sentenced to 11 years and four months in County Jail, Wagstaffe said.


Bay City News contributed to this report.

Pin It

Latest in Crime & Courts

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation