Pacifica man arrested on explosive charges credited with time served 

One of the men arrested in March by San Francisco police on charges related to the possession, transportation and sale of explosive materials pleaded no contest to two felony charges in San Mateo County on Friday, District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said Monday.

Marc Ormando, 47, of Pacifica pleaded no contest to one felony count each of possession of a destructive device and possession of an illegal explosive on the condition that he would serve no time in state prison and receive credit for time served. Ormando was jailed for 256 days.

Ormando reportedly had over 930 pounds of explosive materials, 732 "barrel bombs" and 44 pounds of black powder inside his home on Seaside Drive in Pacifica, where he lived with his two children, ages 7 and 10.

He originally faced five felony counts, including one for child endangerment.

Ormando and alleged accomplice Sean Patrick Gunther, 37, of San Pablo were arrested March 6 by San Francisco police. Ormando and the 37-year-old Gunther were arraigned in San Francisco on March 13.

An an undercover investigation in The City led to both men's identification and alleged activities, police said at the time.

Ormando’s case was later transferred to San Mateo County.

Gunther remains in custody in San Francisco County Jail on $1.5 million bail and will return to court Aug. 6, according to Alex Bastain, a spokesman for the San Francisco District Attorney’s Office. Gunther still faces charges of possession, transportation and sale of destructive devices and possession of methamphetamine.

Ormando originally served as his own counsel, but toward the end of his case he acquired an attorney, Wagstaffe said. As part of the plea deal, the child endangerment charge was dropped Friday along with two other felony counts.

During the course of the trial, an expert testified that while Ormando may have been in possession of a lot of explosive material, it wasn’t quite as dangerous or powerful as was originally thought, Wagstaffe said. It was more like a “fireworks situation rather than a terrorist one,” he said.

Ormando was released from jail Friday night, Wagstaffe said. He is required to pay $300 in restitution, an $80 court operations fine, a $60 criminal conviction fine and a $100 per month probation fee.

Pin It

Latest in Crime & Courts

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation