Pacifica fire kills boy, grandpa 

click to enlarge Thirteen people lived in the two-story Pacifica home where two people died early Sunday in a fire. - MICHAEL SHORT/SPECIAL TO THE SF EXAMINER
  • Michael Short/Special to The SF Examiner
  • Thirteen people lived in the two-story Pacifica home where two people died early Sunday in a fire.

Two people died in an early-morning fire Sunday that swept through and destroyed a Pacifica home.

The victims are believed to be a 13-year-old boy and his 93-year-old grandfather, Red Cross spokesman Patricia Peper said.

The fire at the a two-story, single-family home at 552 Inverness Drive was reported at 5:54 a.m., North County Fire Authority spokesman Matt Lucett said. Firefighters arrived to find flames pouring out of the house, he said.

“There were some residents that were trying to evacuate who reported that there were two people possibly still inside,” Lucett said.

Firefighters entered the home in a rescue attempt, but had to leave due to the size and heat of the fire, Lucett said. One male victim was later found on the lower floor and another male was discovered on the upper floor, Lucett said.

The San Mateo County Coroner’s Office had not released the victims’ names as of Sunday night.

Neighbor Teresa Rodriguez said she knew the owner of the home and that the occupants had been living there for at least 20 years.

A total of 13 people had been staying at the home at the time of the fire, Lucett said. The Red Cross is providing those displaced — six adults and five children — with temporary housing and supplies.

Three of the residents were taken to San Francisco General Hospital to be treated for minor injuries, Lucett said.

Crews remained at the scene Sunday afternoon, while family members surveyed the damage and consoled one another. The home’s roof had partially collapsed, and the flames appeared to have charred a car parked in the front yard.

Doris Cano, who lives at 567 Inverness Drive, said she and her husband heard the fire engines about 6 a.m.

“But my husband heard an explosion before they even came,” said Cano, adding that her husband initially thought it was gunfire.

Investigators were working to determine the cause of the blaze.

“There’s no indication that the fire was suspicious at this point,” Lucett said.

Tags: ,

About The Author

Ari Burack

Pin It

More by Ari Burack

Latest in Peninsula

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation