One body recovered, two may be missing from water 

A woman was found dead Sunday and rescue efforts are continuing for as many as two others in the water near Seal Rocks, the third weekend incident involving recreational water users.

The Coast Guard said a woman — identified by the Medical Examiner’s Office as being in her mid-40s — washed up onto shore near Seal Rocks. At least one witness said there were two more people in the water, one of which was a man. No identification information was known about the possible third victim.

A search-and-rescue helicopter was continuing to seek out the other victims, Coast Guard Lt. j.g. Jeremy Pichette said.

At 4:46 p.m., the Coast Guard received a report from a pedestrian of a 33-foot sailboat in distress in the waters off the Cliff House, Pichette said. A 47-foot rescue boat and a helicopter were dispatched to the area. No response was received when the emergency craft tried hailing the sailboat and no one was seen onboard.

The helicopter then spotted the two individuals near Seal Rocks, not far away. The woman floated to shore, but the male victim went under the water and has not been located.

Coast Guard personnel got onto the boat and found that its windows had been smashed. Pichette would not speculate whether that could have been caused by the vessel capsizing or what may have caused the damage.

The boat was registered to a person in Contra Costa County and Pichette said authorities in that jurisdiction had been contacted in an effort to find the owner of the boat, as well as which individuals may have been onboard. The boat drifted in the water until running aground in the Marin Headlands.

Pichette said the Coast Guard would use the drift patterns to aid the search effort.

Several other emergency agencies responded, including the National Park Service, the Fire Department and the Police Department.

Two kite surfing incidents also happened over the weekend, one requiring the rescue of a kite surfer and the other involving finding wayward kite surfing equipment. Also, the a portion of the Great Highway was closed due to high winds.

Pin It

Latest in Crime & Courts

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation