Odor causes evacuation of Universal Studios office 

Los Angeles County firefighters have determined that the strange odor that caused the evacuation of 400 people from a high-rise building at Universal Studios was not a threat.

Fire Inspector Don Kunitomi says reports of a chlorine gas smell shortly before 12:30 p.m. Wednesday prompted the evacuation of a 15-story building housing studio executive offices.

The smell turned out to be a small leak in one of the containers holding bromine tablets, which are used to purify water for the building's air conditioning. The substance is a non-toxic irritant.

Building occupants were allowed back in to the offices later Wednesday.

About 100 firefighters and a hazardous materials unit responded to the scene.

Kunitomi says there was no gas cloud and no injuries were reported.

Pin It
Favorite

Speaking of...

More by The Associated Press

Latest in Nation

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation