No more Gitmo detainees sent to Yemen for now, Gibbs says 

Yemen is “not capable of handling” them now, Robert Gibbs told reporters at a briefing. “Right now, any additional transfers to Yemen is not a good idea.”

Jan. 5 (Bloomberg) -- President Barack Obama’s top spokesman said the U.S. will suspend transfers of Guantanamo terrorist suspect to Yemen.

Yemen is “not capable of handling” them now, Robert Gibbs told reporters at a briefing. “Right now, any additional transfers to Yemen is not a good idea.”

Gibbs said inmates slated to go to Yemen from the U.S. prison camp at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, could be moved to an Illinois prison in the wake of the Dec. 25 attempt to bomb a Detroit-bound Northwest Airlines flight.

Gibbs said he could not quantify how many additional detainees might be moved to the Thomson Correctional Center, a largely vacant state prison that the federal government wants to acquire to house what had previously been estimated to be about 100 detainees captured overseas in the war against terrorism.

About The Author

Staff Report

Staff Report

Bio:
A daily newspaper covering San Francisco, San Mateo County and serving Alameda, Marin and Santa Clara counties.
Pin It
Favorite

More by Staff Report

Latest in Nation

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation