Muni tallies second death in two days 

A fatality on the tracks in the Castro Street station marked the second death in two days involving Muni.

A man on the underground tracks at the station was struck and killed by an L-Taraval light-rail vehicle late Thursday afternoon, forcing a three-hour Muni closure during the evening commute.

The inbound L-Taraval was pulling away from the stop when it hit the man, who was in the right-of-way, said Muni safety chief John Haley. The driver did not stop the train until the next station, he said.

Police received calls of a death on the underground Muni tracks at 4:48 p.m., said San Francisco police spokesman Officer Samson Chan.

Trains were immediately shut down in both directions, stranding hundreds of people on trains and platforms and filling buses, light-rail vehicles and shuttles with far more commuters than normal. Light-rail service was restored at 7:46 p.m.

Haley and San Francisco police Sgt. Carl Fabbri said the train operator had proceeded to the Church Street station before stopping. They both said there did not appear to be many witnesses.

Cameras both on the train and on the platform captured the incident, and police and Muni officials were reviewing the footage Thursday night. The incident is under investigation.

The Medical Examiner’s Office said the man did not possess identification.

The accident occurred just one day after a 49-year-old man died after being pinned between two 14-Mission buses and then run over by one.

Thursday’s incident was not the only Muni accident of the day. Two L-Taraval trains were involved in a minor accident at 46th Avenue a few hours after the Castro Street fatality, Haley said.

Public transit accidents

Total number of incidents by year that have resulted in deaths:

Pedestrian fatalities from Muni collisions

2006: 4

2007: 8

2008: 4

2009: 2

Source: SFMTA

About The Author

Katie Worth

Pin It

Latest in Transportation

© 2019 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation