Mother of missing San Francisco man says police are not helping her 

The mother of a missing San Francisco resident is frustrated that police aren't responding to requests to ramp up the search for her severely injured son.

Sean Sidi, a 19-year-old who has been recovering from head trauma, has been missing for more than three weeks. His mother, Lynn Ching, wants police to step up their efforts to find him by investigating a potential lead, seeking help from other law enforcement agencies and elevating his missing-person status.

"The SFPD has been complacent at best," Ching said Tuesday.

Roughly two weeks ago, the family received a tip from a woman who said she encountered a man who looked similar to Sidi near Golden Gate Park on May 21, the day he went missing. The woman said the man asked for directions to the Golden Gate Bridge, indicating that he wanted to cross it.

Ching said she asked police to submit a request for surveillance video from the bridge to confirm whether her son had crossed, but the department refused to do so.

"If we see him walking across the bridge we can start searching somewhere else," she said.

Police did not return requests for comment by press time Tuesday.

Ching also is frustrated that police refuse to seek help from other law enforcement agencies that she's contacted, such as the Marin County Sheriff's Department.

"They said, 'No, there's no indication of foul play and Sean doesn't fall into the right category,'" Ching said.

At this point, Ching said, her son is listed as a "voluntary missing person" in the National Crime Information Center, a database that can be tapped into by nearly every law enforcement agency in the country, and the California Department of Justice's missing-person database. But she is asking police to elevate his status to "endangered" or "at risk" because of his head injury, a request that has been denied.

"It would elevate the scrutiny and priority," she said.

Sidi went missing shortly after he told his father, Claude Sidi, that he was heading to a park at 1:34 p.m. May 21. Claude Sidi tried to call his son's cellphone roughly 30 minutes later but couldn't reach him.

Sidi's disappearance is particularly worrisome because he is recovering from a fall that completely destroyed the right side of his skull in November.

The family is holding a public-awareness vigil in Golden Gate Park at Haight and Stanyan streets Sunday in hopes of persuading police to follow up on their requests.

About The Author

Paul Gackle

Paul Gackle

Pin It

More by Paul Gackle

© 2019 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation