More than half of arrested Muni shooting protesters live outside San Francisco 

UPDATE: Police released information at 3:05 p.m. revising the number of arrests at Monday's protest in San Francisco to 43.

Of the 43 people cited during a protest in San Francisco on Tuesday, 17 were city residents, police said Wednesday.

Roughly 150 people marched from Dolores Park to the Castro and along Market Street to protest last weekend’s fatal police shooting of Kenneth Harding, 19, in the Bayview.

None of those arrested were booked into jail, San Francisco police Lt. Troy Dangerfield said. They were cited and released and will have to attend a court hearing, he said.

Seventeen of the people who were cited are San Francisco residents, Dangerfield said. One person was from Pittsburgh, Pa. Others had addresses in the East Bay, San Diego and Irvine, he said.

The 43 arrests came after police declared an unlawful assembly at about 7:45 pm, nearly three hours after the protest began. The demonstrators were "repeatedly warned" to leave the roadway and return to the sidewalk.

They were cited for failure to obey a lawful order by a cop and for being pedestrians in the roadway, police said.

One reporter claimed she was detained by police and released during the protest. Another reporter was arrested after he did not produce a press pass.

In addition to the 43 arrests, cops booked two people on charges of assault and battery. One of those arrests occurred after a member of the media was attacked, police said.

Marching protesters vandalized a Castro Bank of America as well as Castro Muni station, police said. Some threw smoke bombs into the underground station. A group walked past Mission Police Station and someone threw a hammer at officers. The crowd proceeded down Market Street, disrupting traffic and Muni service.

Public unrest has continued following Harding’s death. He was shot after he allegedly opened fire on two cops who were conducting a Muni fare inspection at Bayview station, according to police.

A wild protest also followed the July 3  fatal police shooting of 45-year-old Charles Hill at Civic Center Station. About a week after the shooting, roughly 75 protesters hellbent on paralyzing BART achieved their goal by holding open train doors, climbing atop a rail car and ultimately forcing police to shut down three stations during the height of the evening commute.

Pin It

Latest in Crime & Courts

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation