More on that Obama re-elect poll 

Today's Allstate-National Journal poll has everyone focused on the topline result: only 39 percent of those sampled would re-elect President Obama in 2012, compared to 50 percent who would vote against him.

But there's a lot more to the poll that should worry Democrats.

  1. Trust in Obama "to develop solutions to the country's economic challenges" has fallen from 55 percent in April to 41 percent now. (Trust in Republicans in Congress has risen modestly, from 26 percent to 33 percent now.)
  2. Thirty-five percent believe "government is not the solution to our economic problems; government is the problem." Thirty-three percent want "to see government play an active role in the economy," but are "not sure" they can trust government to do so effectively. Only 29 percent agree with the statement that "government must play an active role in regulating the marketplace and ensuring that the economy benefits people like me."
  3. A shockingly small 9 percent of voters believe that e"the actions the federal government has taken to respond to the financial crisis" has benefited the middle class most. Of the other 91 percent, 48 percent believe the government's policies were "not designed" to benefit the middle class. Forty-six percent believed they were well-intended policies "not implemented...effectively."
  4. Respondents oppose the health insurance reform bill, 46 to 44, having supported 49-42 in the poll conducted in September.

Most importantly, though, this was a poll of adults -- not likely or registered voters. For that reason, it probably overstates support for Obama and for health care compared to the levels that will be expected to turn out in November.

1. And, to start with, do you feel that THE COUNTRY, in general, is headed in the right
direction, or do you think things are seriously off on the wrong track?
Direction of Country
April 8-14, 2009
(N=602,
MoE = +/- 4.0%)
July 5-12, 2009
(N=1201,
MoE=+/-2.8%)
Sept 24-28, 2009
(N=1200,
MoE=+/-2.8%)
Jan 3-7, 2010
(N=1200,
MoE=+/-2.8%)
Wrong track 42% 50% 50% 55%
Right direction 47% 38% 38% 34%
Neither 2% 3% 4% 4%
Don’t Know / Refused 9% 9% 8% 6%
2. And, overall, do you approve or disapprove of the way Barack Obama is handling his job
as president? Do you approve/disapprove strongly or somewhat?
Obama Approval/ Disapproval
April 8-14, 2009
(N=602,
MoE = +/- 4.0%)
July 5-12, 2009
(N=1201,
MoE=+/-2.8%)
Sept 24-28, 2009
(N=1200,
MoE=+/-2.8%)
Jan 3-7, 2010
(N=1200,
MoE=+/-2.8%)
Strongly approve 38% 32% 31% 26%
Somewhat approve 23% 24% 21% 21%
TOTAL APPROVE 61% 56% 52% 47%
Somewhat disapprove 8% 9% 11% 13%
Strongly disapprove 20% 27% 29% 32%
TOTAL DISAPPROVE 28% 36% 40% 45%
Don’t Know / Refused 11% 9% 8% 8%

About The Author

David Freddoso

Bio:
David Freddoso came to the Washington Examiner in June 2009, after serving for nearly two years as a Capitol Hill-based staff reporter for National Review Online. Before writing his New York Times bestselling book, The Case Against Barack Obama, he spent three years assisting Robert Novak, the legendary Washington... more
Pin It
Favorite

More by David Freddoso

Latest in Nation

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation