Men plead not guilty in San Bruno hotel worker's beating 

Two Sacramento men charged with attempted murder for allegedly beating a 65-year-old San Bruno hotel worker pleaded not guilty to the crime in San Mateo County Superior Court today.

Vutoro Mualevu, 29, and Isei Tikoisuva, 21, are each charged with attempted murder, aggravated mayhem, felony assault and assault causing serious bodily injury. Tikoisuva is also charged with one additional count of felony assault, Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said.

The men allegedly assaulted the hotel worker after driving from Sacramento to San Bruno to party with friends on March 29 in a room at the Regency Inn at 411 San Bruno Ave. East, Wagstaffe said.

The group partied late into the night, and Mualevu and Tikoisuva, who were both allegedly intoxicated, became rowdy and aggressive, Wagstaffe said.

Hotel customers in nearby rooms began complaining to the lone 65-year-old hotel employee on duty about noise from the party, and about 4:30 a.m. the man went to the room to tell the group to be quiet.

The hotel worker told the men that other guests had been complaining and asked them to quiet down, according to Wagstaffe. Mualevu and Tikoisuva told the worker to go away, and when the worker again told the men to be quiet, Mualevu and Tikoisuva allegedly attacked him.

One of the men allegedly grabbed a beer bottle and smashed it across the worker's face, shattering the glass, Wagstaffe said.

When the man fell to the ground, Mualevu and Tikoisuva allegedly began kicking and beating him, causing a skull fracture and various other fractures.

Hotel guests who witnessed the incident immediately called 911, and the suspects fled. They were located nearby and arrested, Wagstaffe said.

The hotel worker has moved out of the state and plans to testify if his alleged assailants go to trial, Wagstaffe said.

Mualevu and Tikoisuva, each in an orange jumpsuit and handcuffs, appeared today in front of Judge Clifford Cretan and waived their right to a language interpreter for their arraignment.

They both pleaded not guilty to all charges and are scheduled to return for a pretrial conference Dec. 1.

Mualevu and Tikoisuva both remain in custody on no-bail status.

Bay City News

About The Author

Staff Report

Staff Report

A daily newspaper covering San Francisco, San Mateo County and serving Alameda, Marin and Santa Clara counties.
Pin It

More by Staff Report

Latest in Peninsula

Tuesday, Mar 20, 2018


Most Popular Stories

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation