Man who murdered Fisherman’s Wharf rivals to be sentenced 

Hong Ri Wu, the man convicted of murdering two rival Fisherman’s Wharf merchants in 2011, will be in court Friday for sentencing, according to the District Attorney’s Office.

Wu, 59, faces a possible life sentence without the possibility of parole.

He was convicted in April of murdering Qiong Han Chu and Feng Ping Ou, both 30 at the time, at their business in the 200 block of Jefferson Street on Jan. 30, 2011.

Police and witnesses reported that Wu and the victims had frequently argued. They sold similar knockoff scarves and purses in adjacent stores.

Wu shot his rivals about 8:20 p.m. just as the Wharf was bustling with tourists and shoppers. He confessed to the killing when police arrested him.

During the course of the trial, his sanity was called into question and at one point he was reportedly suicidal. He was ultimately found competent to stand trial and was convicted of the crimes April 2. The district attorney said at the time that he hoped the end of the case would help bring closure to the families of the victims.

“Two people were gunned down by Hong Ri Wu, and he deserves to spend the rest of his life in prison atoning for his crimes,” District Attorney George Gascón said.

Wu is scheduled to be in court Friday at 9 a.m. in Department 10 at the Hall of Justice.

Man convicted of street attack faces sentencing

Christopher Porter-Bailey, who was convicted in the brutal assault and robbery of a woman on the night of the Pink Saturday celebration in the Castro district, will be in court Friday to receive his sentence, according to the District Attorney’s Office.

Porter-Bailey, 23, was convicted in February of robbery and assault and battery with serious bodily injury, prosecutors said. He faces up to eight years in prison.

Porter-Bailey has been up for sentencing twice since his conviction, but those hearings were rescheduled.

He was with a group of people who robbed a 28-year-old woman of her purse and cellphone June 30, 2013, before knocking her to the ground. Video surveillance footage later showed the victim being kicked in the face by one of the attackers. Police said the person who kicked her while she was down was Porter-Bailey.

The victim sustained serious injuries and was hospitalized for quite some time after the assault.

Porter-Bailey is scheduled to return to court Friday at 1:30 p.m. in Department 19 at the Hall of Justice.

Pin It

Speaking of...

Latest in Crime & Courts

© 2019 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation