Man to get reward in homeless killings case 

A forklift driver who helped chase down a suspect in a string of homeless killings after seeing one of the victims stabbed to death will receive a $5,000 reward, authorities said Wednesday.

Donny Hopkins, 32, of Anaheim had stopped to buy cigarettes for his wife when he saw the homeless man attacked outside a fast-food restaurant in Orange County, said Kimberly Edds, a spokeswoman for the Association of Orange County Deputy Sheriffs, which offered the reward.

"This guy went above and beyond — without any thought of his safety — after seeing this brutal attack," Edds said.

It was not immediately possible to locate a phone number for Hopkins.

Prosecutors charged Iraq war veteran Itzcoatl Ocampo with the murders of four homeless men in the nearly month-long spree in Orange County that prompted police to urge homeless people to seek safe shelter.

Authorities arrested Ocampo, 23, the same night that 64-year-old John Berry was killed in Anaheim.

Hopkins told KCBS-Los Angeles he saw the stabbing of Berry on Jan. 13.

"I'm yelling, 'hey stop! hey! hey stop!' as loud as I freakin' can. And he's not even acknowledging anything," Hopkins told the television station. "It almost looked like he was possessed."

Hopkins, who had previously given money to Berry, chased that attacker into a nearby mobile home park and dialed 911.

Prosecutors said Ocampo stalked each of his victims and stabbed them repeatedly with a knife that could cut through bone. Ocampo was caught with blood on his hands and face, prosecutors said.

Ocampo's father, Refugio Ocampo, who also is homeless, said his son, a former Marine, was troubled after he returned from Iraq in 2008.

Itzcoatl Ocampo is being held without bail and is scheduled to be arraigned Feb. 17.

If convicted, he could face a minimum sentence of life without parole.

Pin It
Favorite

More by The Associated Press

Latest in Nation

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation