Man possibly first 2007 Caltrain death 

An autopsy was planned to determine the cause of death for a Belmont man whose body was found Saturday evening on the Caltrain tracks south of the station, San Mateo County Coroner’s Office officials said Sunday.

John William Briskie, 49, appears to have been the first person to die on the Caltrain tracks this year, following an unusually high number of train-related fatalities in 2006. and the resulting creation of an suicide prevention effort dubbed "Don’t Shortcut Life."

Caltrain spokesman Jonah Weinberg said a passing train conductor notified his agency at approximately 7:30 p.m. that there was a body on the tracks approximately one mile south of the San Carlos station.

Weinberg said that to his understanding, Briskie was killed by a train earlier that day. However, he was not sure when it happened if that was the case.The tracks are approximately 15 feet above the ground at that location, Weinberg said.

Unlike some at-grade crossings, Weinberg said there is a pedestrian under-crossing very close to where Briskie’s body was found.

Service was minimally interrupted on Saturday while the coroner gathered data.

tramroop@examiner.com

Tags: ,

About The Author

Staff Report

Staff Report

Bio:
A daily newspaper covering San Francisco, San Mateo County and serving Alameda, Marin and Santa Clara counties.
Pin It
Favorite

More by Staff Report

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation