Man indicted, arrested in athlete’s death 

After a nearly three-year investigation, a San Francisco murder suspect was indicted and then arrested this week in Mendocino County.

Florentino Tobie, 19, was only 16 when he allegedly shot Raymond Bass, 17, in the 400 block of Haight Street on May 7, 2004.

At the time of his death, Bass was a student at Mission High School. He had received a scholarship to play football at Humboldt State University.

Bass was killed while walking down Haight Street. Earlier this year, a double homicide occurred on the same block.

On Tuesday, a criminal grand jury indicted Tobie on charges of first degree murder with gun allegations, the San Francisco District Attorney’s Office reported.

On Thursday, the Mendocino County Sheriff’s Office arrested him, according to police.

Police spokesman Sgt. Steve Mannina said Tobie’s arrest "represents the determination of San Francisco homicide inspectors in solving the tragic case involving a young man with such a bright future."

Sgt. Neville Gittens said the arrest was a "clear-cut case of agencies working together."

In a statement, District Attorney Kamala Harris thanked homicide Inspectors Marta McDowell and Steve Balma as well as Assistant District Attorney Jerry Coleman, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the U.S. Marshals Service and the Mendocino County Sheriff’s Office.

The grand jury heard from nearly three dozen witnesses over the course of "many weeks" during December and January, the District Attorney’s Office reported.

If convicted, Tobie faces 28 years to life in prison.

He is in custody in Ukiah on $2 million bail, pending extradition to San Francisco.

amartin@examiner.com

Tags: ,

About The Author

Staff Report

Staff Report

Bio:
A daily newspaper covering San Francisco, San Mateo County and serving Alameda, Marin and Santa Clara counties.
Pin It
Favorite

More by Staff Report

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation