Man accused of running down bicyclists in San Francisco pleads not guilty 

An East Bay man accused of running down several bicyclists with his SUV in San Francisco last year pleaded not guilty in court Thursday to charges of attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon.

David Mark Clark, 40, of Albany, was arrested two days after the June 2, 2010 nighttime attacks on four male bicyclists in the Mission District and Potrero Hill. Three of the victims were seriously injured.

Witnesses described seeing the driver accelerate and swerve toward the bicyclists without provocation.

Clark is expected to modify his not-guilty plea to not guilty by reason of insanity prior to his Jan. 20 trial, his attorney Brendan Conroy said.

Conroy said his client, a tennis coach who was “heavily involved” in alternative spiritual healing practices and channeling, also had a history of mental illness and suffered a “complete psychotic break” prior to the attacks.

Clark’s bizarre behavior got him kicked out of the airport in the afternoon before the attacks, and the day after, a driver called 911 after seeing him wandering by foot on the side of the highway leading from the Golden Gate Bridge to the Waldo Tunnel in Marin County, according to Conroy.

Clark later told police he had been hallucinating and hearing voices.

aburack@sfexaminer.com

About The Author

Ari Burack

Pin It
Favorite

More by Ari Burack

Latest in Crime & Courts

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation