Man accused of killing teenage rock-thrower back in court 

Teenage mischief turned deadly for one kid that was throwing rocks at cars from an overpass in Redwood City last year, prosecutors said.

On Monday, the fatally stabbed teen’s alleged attacker — a 19-year-old who was reportedly inside one of the cars targeted by rocks — was back in a San Mateo County courtroom after fleeing to Mexico. He pleaded not guilty to the murder, according to San Mateo County prosecutors.

The teen that was killed, 16-year-old Matthew Johnson, was throwing rocks with two friends from the overpass on Jefferson Avenue, near the train tracks, on Jan. 3, 2009, prosecutors said.

The alleged attacker, then-17-year-old Luis Villa, of Lathrop, reportedly pursued the rock-throwers down the street with friends, they said. Villa allegedly got out of the car, whipped out a knife, and fatally stabbed Johnson while a friend punched him, prosecutors said.

Villa then allegedly fled to Mexico. He was extradited back to San Mateo County last month after being apprehended by Mexican police, prosecutors said.

Villa is in custody in San Mateo County Jail.

The preliminary hearing in the murder case is set for Nov. 30.

maldax@sfexaminer.com

Pin It
Favorite

Latest in Crime & Courts

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation