Letters from our Readers: How do driver furloughs save money for Muni? 

I’m not sure I understand furloughs for Muni drivers. If a bureaucrat with a desk job is furloughed for a day, his in-basket continues to fill up. And when he returns to work the next day, he has more work to do clearing the in-basket.

But if a Muni driver is furloughed for a day, he is unable to drive the bus. Someone else has to drive the bus that day. So where’s the saving?

Michael Mahoney, San Francisco

Another ill-informed rant

We are perplexed that Ken Garcia is lashing out against Save The Bay for the third time in recent weeks over our opposition to the Redwood City Bay-fill project, and once again he is ill-informed. He claims that almost 100 elected officials are somehow premature in their opposition to Cargill’s plan to build a new city in San Francisco Bay salt ponds.

But the letter specifically makes the case against the massive development, noting that these salt ponds can be restored to wetlands and the site is vulnerable to future sea-level rise.

Save The Bay has been the Bay’s leading champion since 1961. If our founders — three Bay Area women — hadn’t stood up to the massive threatened Bay fill of the 1960s, this natural treasure would probably be a narrow river today. It is central to Save The Bay’s mission to stand up against inappropriate development proposed for restorable wetlands.

Stephen Knight, Political director, Save The Bay

Benefits of high-speed rail

I appreciate The Examiner’s coverage of the Transbay Terminal selection for San Francisco’s high-speed rail terminus. A project as significant as high-speed rail generates benefits well in excess of annual service profits and construction jobs.

These could include local economic benefits to cities served by rail; cost and time savings to businesses choosing this service over air travel or driving; and competitive advantages to the cities served and to California in a global economy where places in Europe and Asia have far more advanced transportation infrastructure.

It might be more interesting, in fact, to examine what would have happened to California if we persisted in not having 21st-century high-speed rail.

Peter Albert, San Francisco

Muni can’t support growth

Proponents of the huge growth proposed for Park Merced claim that expanded public transit will eliminate the need for the residents to drive. But Muni cannot provide service to the existing population, much less the thousands more residents projected to move into lower 19th Avenue.

Furthermore, it is well known that despite transit expansion, only about 10 percent of the commuters use it and the other 90 percent still prefer to drive. For every 1,000 new housing units built, there will be 900 more cars adding to the
19th Avenue congestion.

And just where are the owners of the Park Merced complex getting the money to extend Muni’s M line into their privately owned property?

Galen L. Dutch, San Francisco

About The Author

Staff Report

Staff Report

Bio:
A daily newspaper covering San Francisco, San Mateo County and serving Alameda, Marin and Santa Clara counties.
Pin It
Favorite

Speaking of...

More by Staff Report

Latest in Letters to the Editor

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation