Hypocrite: In 2004, Keith Olbermann said MSNBC’s election office pool was ‘conflict of interest’

While even Keith Olbermann’s critics seem to think that the possibility of MSNBC firing him for giving money to political candidates is a bridge to far, the whole episode has been a big reminder that the cable news host self-righteous hypocrite when it comes to journalistic ethics.

Case in point, see the following email exchange supplied to me by a former MSNBC employee. It’s between Olbermann and MSNBC producers who are trying to organize a friendly interoffice pool at the network to guess the outcome of the 2004 presidential election. Olbermann will have none of it:

—–Original Message—–
From:   XXXX (NBC Universal, MSNBC)
Sent:   Sunday, October 31, 2004 10:53 AM
To:     @MSNBC Countdown with Keith Olbermann; @MSNBC Scarborough
Subject:        Pool on how wins the elections…

Hi all -

XXXX and I were talking and came up with the idea of having a Countdown/Scarborough Country pool between our two staffs… You can chip in $5 and cast your bet on who would win the presidential race. Here’s how it will work, you need to give your best guess on the electoral college breakdown…

Here’s how it will work:

XXXX has offered to record your bet and take the $5 fee. The deadline is 3pm Monday November 1st.

You have to cast your bet on who will win, and the breakdown of the electoral votes… a tie will not be an acceptable answer. XXXX will keep a full record of everyone’s best and will announce the winner (let’s hope we have a winner on November 3rd, or 4th or sometime soon)…

And here’s Olbermann’s response: