Hawaii governor says money not wasted on Pro Bowl 

Hawaii Gov. Neil Abercrombie says he wants to keep the Pro Bowl in Oahu, a sharp contrast from his prior criticism of the state's decision to pay millions to host the game.

In a surprise appearance at a Pro Bowl news conference Tuesday, the governor said his administration will "do everything we can" to keep the Pro Bowl.

Last June, Abercrombie said he opposed a previous deal to pay $4 million per game for the rights to hold the NFL's all-star game in Hawaii in 2011 and 2012.

The Honolulu Star-Advertiser reports (http://bit.ly/yEMDzw) that Abercrombie says his remark was meant to highlight what the money could have funded in education.

The Pro Bowl returned to Aloha Stadium last year after it was played in Miami in 2010, breaking a 30-year run in Hawaii.


Information from: Honolulu Star-Advertiser, http://www.staradvertiser.com

Pin It

Speaking of...

More by The Associated Press

Latest in Oakland Raiders & NFL

Wednesday, Mar 21, 2018


Most Popular Stories

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation