Dyer remembered a year later 

One year ago today, 27-year-old Ashlyn Dyer was out for an early morning run in the Presidio when a car struck her and fled thescene.

Around 7 a.m., she was found lying face down in a ditch near Washington Boulevard and Kobbe Avenue — about two miles from home, carrying an iPod that later identified her.

Dyer died 10 days later at San Francisco General Hospital when her family took her off life support after learning she had a "severe, irreversible brain injury" caused by a lack of oxygen that would have kept her in a vegetative state.

The hit-and-run driver has never been found. Authorities have said Dyer, a San Francisco resident and University of Southern California graduate, may have lived if the driver had stopped and helped her.

The one-year anniversary is dredging up painful memories for Dyer’s friends and family, who plan to spend the day together. Some are upset that the driver is still at large, while others have focused their energies on the Ashlyn Dyer Fund for Neurological Research, which to date has raised $500,000 toward its cause. A run benefiting the fund will be held April 1 in the Presidio.

"The foundation was something we created because we were inspired by Ashlyn’s giving nature," said Joe Harper, one of Dyer’s childhood friends.

Her parents, Bruce and Marsha Dyer, plan to be in The City on March 12, the day their daughter passed away, and will read a prepared statement, Joseph Schadler, a spokesman for the FBI, said.

Dyer’s close friends have spent the year supporting one another and remembering the "brilliant, off-the-charts talented" woman that could "find the funny in any situation," said Cameron Mercer, a childhood friend.

"It’s very upsetting that the person who did this hasn’t been found. They took this amazing person’s life and caused so much pain to so many people," longtime friend Mary Plomin said.

The investigation into who may have hit Dyer and left her for dead has slowed because of a basic lack of witnesses, and as time passes,tips are becoming few and far between, said U.S. Park Police Detective-Sergeant Robert Jansing, who is jointly investigating the case with the FBI because Dyer was hit on federal land.

"With the one-year anniversary, we’re expecting some [tips] since it will be in the public eye again," Jansing said.

Schadler said the investigation is ongoing, but would not provide additional details. He refuted an allegation that a government vehicle might have hit Dyer because glass and green paint were reportedly found on her clothes.

"The [U.S. Park Service] maintenance guys don’t even drive green trucks. They drive white trucks. So I don’t know where that rumor came from," Schadler said.

The City has offered a $20,000 reward for information that would lead to the hit-and-run driver. The family increased the reward to $50,000.

"We don’t have any answers. We have to live every day with the fact that someone left her there," friend Brian Wilhite said.


Tags: ,

About The Author

Staff Report

Staff Report

A daily newspaper covering San Francisco, San Mateo County and serving Alameda, Marin and Santa Clara counties.
Pin It

More by Staff Report

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation