Disabled big-rig moved, eastbound Interstate 80 in San Francisco lanes reopen 

All lanes of eastbound Interstate Highway 80 in San Francisco are back open after crews removed a disabled big-rig and the portable building it was carrying that blocked the roadway for more than four hours this morning.

The big-rig and its load were relocated to the Fifth Street on-ramp in an unmarked area where the lanes merge, California Highway Patrol Officer Peter Van Eckhardt.

“It’s still on the road, but it’s out of the way of traffic,” he said.

Crews are having trouble removing the portable building from the highway because of its size, Van Eckhardt said.

“The trailer was in such bad shape. It’s an unusual load to move,” he said.

It is unclear when the big-rig and the portable building will be off the highway.

The No. 2 and No.3 lanes just west of Seventh Street had been closed since about 6:30 a.m., when the CHP issued a Sig-alert. The Sig-alert was canceled just before 11 a.m.

It is not clear why the big rig driver lost control but Van Eckhardt said it might have been because of a flat tire.

About The Author

Bay City News

Pin It
Favorite

More by Bay City News

Latest in Transportation

Tuesday, Feb 20, 2018

Videos

Most Popular Stories

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation