Deal is closer on Homeless Connect 

Mayor Gavin Newsom on Thursday continued to work to broker a deal that would save his beloved Homeless Connect program, and it appears he’s close.

Supervisor John Avalos, who chairs the Board of Supervisors Budget and Finance Committee, said he was positive the board would restore the $260,000 that had been set aside in the mayor’s budget to expand his nationally recognized Homeless Connect program into a permanent one-stop shop for homeless services, including medical treatment, housing and substance abuse counseling.

“I think going forward, we can move to a permanent Homeless Connect,” Avalos said.

Of course, he said it with the caveat that there would have to first be “peace” on both sides of the budget talks, Avalos said.

The mayor’s staff has been talking with supervisors to try to strike an agreement on the proposed $6.5 billion budget. Newsom presented the budget to the board July 1, with cuts to mental health services and more than $100 million in labor concessions.

Thursday, Newsom said the two sides were $40 million away from having a budget deal, and he’s still hopeful that this budget will include funding for a daily drop-in site for Homeless Connect.

Tags: ,

About The Author

Erin Sherbert

Pin It
Favorite

More by Erin Sherbert

Latest in Government & Politics

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation