Deadly sucker-punch outside AT&T Park lands man year in jail 

A San Carlos man who threw a fatal sucker-punch during a spat outside AT&T Park nearly three years ago will serve no more than a year in County Jail for the killing, according to his attorney.

Taylor Buckley is expected to agree to a plea bargain in San Francisco today that will include a year in jail and five years of probation, his attorney, Douglas Horngrad, told The San Francisco Examiner on Wednesday.

Buckley, who Horngrad said has been out of custody and attending college, was charged with involuntary manslaughter for throwing the single punch that led to 18-year-old Anthony Giraudo’s death May 9, 2008.

The brawl occurred toward the end of a Giants-Philadelphia Phillies game. Buckley, then 19, sucker-punched Giraudo once in the side of the face with a closed fist, sending the Redwood City teen to the ground, prosecutors said.

Giraudo’s head struck the pavement and he was knocked unconscious. He died the following day at San Francisco General Hospital.

Horngrad said his client “never intended to kill anybody,” adding, “it was a one-punch case.”

“He’s been prepared to accept responsibility from the outset,” Horngrad said. “He made a voluntary statement to police at the time of his arrest, and he took responsibility for what had happened.”

The District Attorney’s Office did not charge Buckley with murder, saying the killing was not done with malice.

Prosecutors declined to comment on terms of the plea deal.

Both Buckley and Giraudo had been drinking that night. A police inspector testified that Buckley admitted the punch was “a cheap shot” and that Giraudo “could not see the punch coming.”

A witness testified in court that after the punch, Buckley “smiled and puffed his chest.” After Giraudo went down, Buckley began yelling “knockout, knockout” and dancing around, a police inspector said.

The witness also said Buckley looked concerned when Giraudo remained on the ground, and then Buckley started to walk away with his friends.

Giraudo was a baseball player who had been attending Cañada College.

Bay City News contributed to this report.

Pin It

Latest in Crime & Courts

© 2019 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation