Daily Outrage: Chinese zoo’s ‘heroic mother’ dies after accidental gassing 

WHAT: Quan Quan, a beloved 21-year-old giant panda at China’s Jinan Zoo, died after being accidently gassed with carbon monoxide and chlorine being used to disinfect a nearby abandoned air raid shelter.

HOW IT HAPPENED: The toxic substances seeped through ventilation pipes at the zoo, which shares space with the raid shelter. Quan Quan’s lungs collapsed and, despite attempts to save her, she died at a hospital.

WHY IT’S OUTRAGEOUS: Aside from being cute, pandas are an endangered species. Quan Quan had been labeled a “heroic mother” by state media for giving birth to seven cubs during her lifetime.

Pin It
Favorite

Speaking of Opinion

More by Examiner Editorial

Latest in Editorials

Sunday, Jun 24, 2018

Videos

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation