Central Station police growing weary of shirtless man's violent tirades 

Central Station police Capt. Garret Tom hopes the knife-wielding man who was arrested following a 9-hour standoff with police on Monday will not be released from custody "for some time to come" due to a series of bizarre and violent behavior.

The man, identified Thursday as 25-year-old William Quezali, is facing multiple charges in connection with the Monday incident in which he threatened to jump from a ledge at 4 Embarcadero Center. During the standoff with police, the shirtless Quezali reportedly hurled four large stones from nearby planter boxes, one of which broke a large window in the complex, at officers and passersby. He finally came down a fire truck's ladder about 12:15 a.m. Tuesday, according to Tom.

Before Monday's incident, Quezali had been released from San Francisco General Hospital's psychiatric ward, where he was sent for a 72-hour involuntary hold following an episode Friday in which he had reportedly climbed a light pole on Drumm Street and removed his pants.

Even before that incident, however, locals and police have been well aware of Quezali's apparent instability. On Sept. 7, Tom said, he was shadowboxing while naked near the Ferry Building, nearly hitting several passersby.

"When police arrived he ran and jumped in the Bay," Tom said. "The suspect swam back and resisted rescuers who tried to save him."

In July, Quezali was involved in a protest at the Federal Reserve Bank at 101 Market St. when he "started punching oncoming vehicles' windows and mirrors."

Quezali also has two prior prison commitments from 2008 related to a conviction for threatening an executive officer in San Mateo County, according to court documents.

"It took four officers to overcome his resistance," Tom said. "Hopefully this guy will not be released for some time to come."

As a result of Monday's standoff, Quezali was charged with felony counts of threats to an executive officer and vandalism, Assistant District Attorney Alex Bastian said.

He is being held on $75,000 bail and is next scheduled to appear in court Tuesday for a status hearing on his case, Bastian said.

Pin It

Latest in Crime & Courts

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation