Border officials retract "weapons of mass destruction" comments 

A San Diego Channel 10 interview, with Customs and Border Patrol
Assistant Director Al Hallor is going viral after the San Diego official
said weapons of mass destruction have been discovered by federal agencies at US ports of entry.
      The Channel 10News investigative reporter Mitch Blacher asked, "Do you ever find things that are dangerous like a chemical agent or a weaponized device?"
      Hallor said, "at the airport, seaport, at our port of entry we have
not this past fiscal year, but our partner agencies have found those
things."
      The interview played Monday on numerous major television news outlets and on dozens of web sites.
      But the agency is now stepping back from that comment.
       "During a local interview on port security that aired last week, a
U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) assistant port director in San
Diego made statements that were simply inaccurate,"Kelly Ivanhnenko,
Southwest Border Field Branch Chief, said in an email to The Examiner.
"CBP has not encountered any weapons of mass effect at or between ports of entry anywhere in the United States. Furthermore, at this time, CBP does not have any credible information on terrorist groups operating along the Southwest border," it said.
      Hallor could not be reached for comment.

About The Author

Sara A. Carter

Pin It
Favorite

More by Sara A. Carter

Latest in Nation

Sunday, Feb 18, 2018

Videos

Most Popular Stories

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation