Bay to Breakers partier injured in fall on Fell; SFPD clamps down on drinking runners 

A 30-year-old man at a rowdy party plunged from the roof of a two-story building on Fell Street while celebrating the famous footrace Sunday.

He was transported to the hospital with life-threatening injuries.

Sgt. Michael Andraychak said the incident occurred around noon. The party was shut down immediately.

Andraychak said it was unknown if alcohol was involved in the fall. Several crowded parties were taking place along that block as thousands of celebrants moved past and gathered outside to enjoy music.

Despite the horrific fall, police activity was limited Sunday, as officers said participants were mostly well-behaved.

“It appears to be a successful event,” Andraychak said.

Police sobriety checkpoints appeared to work, Andraychak said, and officers were observed snatching beers out of the hands of participants and pouring them into storm drains. Police stopped one woman tossing Jell-O shots to the crowd at Fillmore.

A motorized cart was taken off the course as a hazard to the runners, and an unpermitted band that used a wooden platform to carry up to eight people was removed from the race.

Elsewhere on the course, six other runners were transported to hospitals after some sort of spill, Andraychak said.

Six people also were arrested for public intoxication. Andraychak said the group was not permitted to enter the “voluntary sobering tent” because they were uncooperative.

A total of 17 people — two women and 15 men — were arrested for intoxication throughout the day.

Unrelated to the race, two youths and one adult were arrested near the course for breaking into cars. Police called them “opportunists.”

Three other people were arrested for aggravated assault, two people were arrested for burglary and there was one marijuana arrest.

In years past, the Panhandle has been a trouble spot for those complaining about public drinking and urination.

Despite the police crackdown and hundreds of portable toilets along the race route, this year appeared little different. One resident of Page Street said she took a spray bottle to people urinating near her doorstep.

Organizers reopened the course to traffic earlier than in years past, a not-so-subtle sign to participants to take their memories and T-shirts and head home. By 10:20 a.m., all the streets south of Market were reopened.

And promptly at noon, when the finish line was shut down, race organizers tweeted the following message: “Thank you to everyone that participated in #B2B100. We had a blast celebrating the centennial running! See you all next year!”

As of 1 p.m., the course was open from the Embarcadero through Fell and Divisadero.

Examiner staff writers Alexis Terrazas and Stephen Buel contributed to this report.

About The Author

Ari Burack

Pin It

Speaking of...

More by Ari Burack

Latest in Other Sports

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation