Authorities ID victims of East Palo Alto plane crash 

Authorities on Thursday tentatively identified three Tesla Motors employees who were killed in a plane crash in East Palo Alto early Wednesday morning.

San Mateo County Coroner Robert Foucrault said the three occupants of the twin-engine Cessna 310 are believed to have been Douglas Bourn, 56, of Santa Clara; Brian Finn, 42, of East Palo Alto; and Andrew Ingram, 31, of Palo Alto.

Foucrault said the identities won't be confirmed until the coroner's office has made dental record and DNA comparisons.  

An East Palo Alto neighborhood where a small plane crashed Wednesday morning is being cleaned up and scrutinized Thursday as investigators work to reconstruct the tragic accident.

The plane, registered to Bourn, a senior electrical engineer for Tesla, crashed onto Beech Street shortly before 8 a.m. after striking either a PG&E transmission tower or the attached power lines and breaking into pieces.

A wing landed in the rear of a home that serves as a day care center, and the body of the plane skidded down Beech Street, ricocheting off a retaining wall and lighting cars and vegetation on fire.

No one on the ground was injured but three Telsa Motors employees aboard the plane were killed. Authorities have not yet confirmed their identities.

Menlo Park Fire Chief Harold Schapelhouman said a fire investigator will be working the National Transportation Safety Board and the Federal Aviation Administration this morning to document the crash site.

An NTSB recovery team will be on site, and crews will work to disentangle twisted metal, remove debris and shore up buildings,
Schapelhouman said.

Special tools will be brought in, including the Jaws of Life and "anything we need to get those aircraft parts out of the neighborhood," Schapelhouman said.

PG&E is hoping to dismantle the badly damaged transmission tower today and fly the parts away by helicopter, PG&E spokesman Joe Molica said. A new tower will be brought in by truck and erected, he said.

As of 10:30 a.m., however, the weather was preventing the helicopter from taking off.

"We've essentially been grounded all morning by the fog," Molica said.

The three transmission lines affected by the crash supply power to Palo Alto, and the city was without power all day Wednesday. Palo Alto operates its own utilities but the transmission lines are owned by PG&E.

Power came back on at about 5:30 p.m. after PG&E crews restored power to one of the disabled lines. The two others were re-energized overnight, Molica said.

Schapelhouman said he expects the investigation and neighborhood cleanup to conclude this evening.

"Our goal is to be completely out of this community by 7 p.m.," he said.

Most residents were allowed to spend the night at their homes Wednesday, with the exception of those whose homes were damaged, he said.

He said there was a small flare-up this morning when a car that had been damaged by fire re-ignited at about 6 a.m. An officer providing security spotted smoke coming from a BMW parked outside 1180 Beech St., where the plane's fuselage was found, Schapelhouman said.

When firefighters arrived, the car's dashboard was on fire but the flames were quickly extinguished, he said.

He said the small fire is a reminder that although residents have been allowed back home, they need to be careful.

"We have an active site here and I think that's what everybody needs to understand," he said.

Schapelhouman said people who don't live in the neighborhood have been stopping by to check out the damage.

"If you don't need to be down here, don't come down here," he said.

Tags: ,

About The Author

Staff Report

Staff Report

A daily newspaper covering San Francisco, San Mateo County and serving Alameda, Marin and Santa Clara counties.
Pin It

More by Staff Report

© 2019 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation