Arraignment postponed in nightclub shooting 

Arraignment was postponed Tuesday for one of two suspected gunmen in a fatal shooting outside a San Francisco nightclub early Sunday morning because the suspect is still in the hospital recovering from gunshot wounds of his own.

Keandre Davis, 20, of Richmond, is charged with murder, assault with a semiautomatic firearm and negligent discharge of a firearm.

Police and prosecutors believe Davis was one of two men who opened fire at a crowd gathered outside the Suede nightclub at 383 Bay St. at about 1:40 a.m. Sunday. Lawon Marshawn Hall, 19, also of Richmond, died after being
shot several times.

Three other men were also shot and survived.

Investigators believe an argument inside the club that spilled out onto the street may have prompted the shooting.

Davis was shot by Patrol Special Officer Robert Burns, who had been contracted by Suede to help guard the area and was on duty that night.

Davis was scheduled to be arraigned in San Francisco Superior Court this morning, but a bailiff said he had been informed that Davis was "not medically fit" to appear. Arraignment was postponed until next Tuesday.

Prosecutor George Butterworth said Davis is still at the hospital, recovering from gunshot wounds to his buttock and shin. He was found lying wounded in front of an adult video store next to the club.

A total of 44 bullet casings were recovered at the scene, 16 apparently fired by the patrol special officer, Butterworth said. A gun was also recovered and is being tested for fingerprints and DNA.

A second suspect, described as a black male about 6 feet 3 inches tall and 175 pounds with black dreadlocks, is still being sought by police. He was last wearing a white and tan hooded sweatshirt and running from Bay Street north onto Mason Street.

Though it appears many people saw the shooting, witnesses have so far been uncooperative, police and prosecutors said.

The club is located blocks from Fisherman's Wharf and has been the site of prior violence, according to city officials. Club management on Monday agreed to a temporary 30-day closure.

Tags: ,

About The Author

Staff Report

Staff Report

A daily newspaper covering San Francisco, San Mateo County and serving Alameda, Marin and Santa Clara counties.
Pin It

More by Staff Report

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation