Another elementary school evacuated due to smell of gas 

An elementary school in San Bruno has been evacuated Friday morning due to a potential gas leak, the second school to be evacuated in as many days near the site of last week’s deadly explosion and fire.

Students and staff at Crestmoor Elementary School, located at 2322 Crestmoor Drive, were evacuated Friday morning after two teachers reported smelling gas in their classrooms at about 8:10 a.m., said Cindy Emerson of the San Bruno Park School District.

School officials notified PG&E, which recommended that students and staff evacuate the school. They were taken by bus to Parkside Intermediate School, according to Emerson, administrative assistant to the district superintendent.

Parents can pick up the students in the cafeteria at Parkside, located at 1801 Niles Ave. in San Bruno.

Classes at Crestmoor have been canceled for the day, Emerson said.

PG&E spokeswoman Cindy Pollard said utility crews were at the campus to investigate the incident as of 9:45 a.m. Crews have not yet determined what might have caused the smell of gas, Pollard said.

On Thursday morning, students were evacuated from Portola Elementary School in San Bruno because of the smell of gas. Investigators later determined the smell came from the school’s furnaces, which had been turned on for the first time this year.

Students from Portola were also taken to Parkside to be picked up on Thursday.

Both Crestmoor and Portola elementary schools are located less than a mile from the site of the Sept. 9 explosion and fire that killed at least four people and injured more than 50 others. Thirty-seven homes were destroyed.

Tags: ,

About The Author

Staff Report

Staff Report

Bio:
A daily newspaper covering San Francisco, San Mateo County and serving Alameda, Marin and Santa Clara counties.
Pin It
Favorite

More by Staff Report

Sunday, Apr 22, 2018

Videos

Most Popular Stories

© 2018 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation