Check out these festive events and pubs around San Francisco this weekend in honor of St. Patrick's Day.
IRISH TUNES AND EVENTS
St. Patrick’s Day ?Celebration
- 4 p.m. Sunday.
- The 40th annual party features performances by Driving with Fergus, the McBride Irish Dancers and John Slaymaker & the Monday Night Céilí.
- Starry Plough, 3101 Shattuck Ave., Berkeley
- (510) 841-2082, ww.starryploughpub.com
St. Patrick’s Day Festival
- 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday.
- “Honoring the Celctic Woman” is the theme of this year’s festivities, which include food, drink, dancing and cultural and business exhibitions.
- Civic Center Plaza, between Grove, Polk, Larkin and McAllister streets, S.F.;
St. Patrick’s Day Parade
- 11:30 a.m. Saturday.
- San Francisco Fire Chief Joanne Hayes-White is grand marshal.
- Begins at Second and Market streets, goes down Market, ends at Civic Center, S.F.
- 5 to 8 p.m. Friday.
- Local 798 and Guinness host a fundraiser for the San Francisco Firefighters Cancer Prevention Foundation.
- 198 Fifth St., S.F.
- (415) 621-7103,
- RSVP: Barbara@sffdlocal798.org.
- 9:30 p.m. Saturday.
- No cover.
- Based in Europe, the group mixes blazing bagpipes, mighty drums and the power of a rock band.
- Abbey Tavern, 4100 Geary Blvd., S.F.; (415) 221-7767, www.abbeytavern-sf.com
- 8 p.m. Saturday.
- The U2 cover band headlines.
- Brick & Mortar, 1710 Mission St., S.F.
- (415) 800-8782, www.brickandmortarmu?sic.com]
The Barbary Ghosts
- 8:30 p.m. Sunday.
- The San Franicsco band’s debut album “The Ghost of the William Grey” combines traditional sea chanties, old-time ballads, drinking songs and well-crafted originals. Miss Tess and the Talkbacks, The Hobgobelins and Renée De La Prade also are on the bill.
- Amnesia, 863 Valencia St., S.F.
- (415) 970-0012, www.amnesiathebar.com
Crossroads Irish-American Festival: Select events
Laurence Nugent, Paddy Egan
- 9 p.m. Wednesday.
- Tin-whistle and flute champion Nugent appears with concertina virtuoso Egan in this rare performance.
- Plough and Stars, 116 Clement St., S.F.
- (415) 751-1122, www.the?ploughandstars.com
Irish American stories workshop
- 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. March 23.
- The United Irish Cultural Center sponsors a session called “Creating Narratives from Family Records”; participants access ancestry records.
- Patrick J. Dowling Library, 2700 45th Ave., S.F.
- (415) 661-2700, www.irishcentersf.org
Bay Area Irish-American writers
- 2 to 4 p.m. April 7.
- Catherine Brady, Terence Clarke, Linda Norton and Eddie Stack read from short story and poetry collections.
- USF Main Campus, McLaren Conference Center, Room 250, 2130 Fulton St., S.F.
- (415) 810-3774, www.irishamericancrossroads.org
Patrick Cotter, Matthew Sweeney
- 7 to 9 p.m. April 18.
- The Irish poets read from their collections.
- Book Shop West Portal, 80 West Portal Ave., S.F.
- (415) 564-8080, www.bookshopwestportal.com
Kevin Burke, John Carty
- 8 p.m. April 26.
- The evening of traditional Irish music features virtuoso fiddler Burke, pictured, and award-winning multi-instrumentalist Carty.
- Brick and Mortar Music Hall, ?1710 Mission St., S.F.
- (415) 800-8782, www.brickandmortarmusic.com
More live music
- Abbey Tavern, 4100 Geary Blvd., (415) 221-7767, www.abbeytavern-sf.com
- The Chieftain, 198 Fifth St., S.F., (415) 615-0916, www.thechieftain.com
- Napper Tandy, 3200 24th St., S.F., (415) 550-7510
- O’Reillys, 622 Green St., S.F., (415) 989-6222. http://sforeillys.com/events.html