White House: New al Qaeda threats no surprise 

The White House says al Qaeda's threats to avenge Osama bin Laden's death come as no surprise, and that the adminsitration will "remain vigilant" to protect Americans from any potential backlash. 

"We're being extremely vigilant," White House spokesman Jay Carney said aboard Air Force One on Friday. "We're quite aware of the potential for activity."

In a statement posted online, al Qaeda said bin Laden's blood "is more precious to us and to every Muslim than to be wasted in vain" and said his death "will remain, with permission from Allah the Almighty, a curse that hunts the Americans and their collaborators and chases them inside and outside their country."

Carney said the threats "acknowledge the obvious, which is that Osama bin Laden was killed on Sunday night by U.S. forces." 

"The fact that the world’s most wanted terrorist might have been considering further terror plots against the United States is not a surprise, but it reminds us, of course, that we need to remain ever vigilant," Carney said.

Intelligence officials indicated on Tuesday that there was no reason to raise the country's threat level in the wake of bin Laden's killing, but Carney would not comment on whether the threat level has changed since then. 

 

About The Author

Hayley Peterson

Pin It
Favorite

Speaking of...

More by Hayley Peterson

Latest in Nation

Monday, Jul 25, 2016

Videos

Most Popular Stories

© 2016 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation